Two customers at a Tennessee Checkers went to the bathroom and lost their appetite after finding hundreds of hamburger buns – stored right next to the public toilet.
Stephen Stanley, a manager at a nearby McDonald’s, was visiting one of the chain’s restaurants in Cleveland when he made the disgusting discovery.
Stanley took pictures and video of the sight of stack after stack of buns mere feet away from an unflushed toilet before confronting the manager on duty.
He was told that the store was in the process of trying to get the buns out of the bathroom and into the restaurant.
‘It’s just bad business, poor management and it’s disgusting,’ Stanley told WRCB.
‘My first thought was are they going to serve them.’
Stanley stayed at the restaurant more than an hour after his initial complaint to make sure employees put the buns back inside the Checkers.
He then called the Tennessee Department of Health’s emergency tip-line.
Officials from the department were on the scene within 24 hours and an environmentalist was brought in to speak with the manager.
‘With all of the bacteria and things that are present in the restroom, it’s possible to contaminate the food so that’s never acceptable,’ Eric Coffee, the department’s field office manager, told the station.
Stanley (pictured left) took pictures and video of the sight of stack after stack of buns mere feet away from an unflushed toilet before confronting the manager on duty.
The buns were found in the dumpster during a site inspection on Sunday and thus the department decided not to shut down the restaurant.
‘There were no imminent health hazards present while we were there in order to require them to be closed,’ Coffee said.
Checkers said the buns had been displaced during a delivery, calling the mistake ‘completely unacceptable’.
‘The buns were never served, and the employees involved in the delivery have been disciplined,’ the statement reads.
‘We apologize to our guests, and we are taking actions with this franchisee to ensure our operating procedures are followed.’
But it won’t be enough for customer TC Cooper, who also saw the bathroom buns in person.
‘It’s a wrap, I’m done,’ he said.
‘I’m not going to eat there anymore. It’s nasty.’
Via Daily Mail UK