From Daily Mail
Four suspected terrorists were arrested in Paris today after police claimed they were plotting an ‘imminent attack’ on the French capital.
Three men and one woman were captured in the siege on the 18th arrondissement of the French capital and the nearby, rundown suburb of Saint Denis.
An AK-47 rifle, and electronic equipment including a USB stick and computer files, were found during the dawn raid.
French intelligence officers have been questioning the suspects at their headquarters in the city tonight.
Police later said the four suspects had been under surveillance on suspicion of a ‘possible’ attack, with one source adding: ‘You can’t at this stage talk about a plan of imminent attack.’
The arrests were carried out at dawn in two Paris districts, as well as Saint Denis, the scene of a massive raid after the November 13 Paris attacks.
TF1 reported that two French brothers of Turkish origin – identified as Aytac and Ercan B – were among the suspects. Another Frenchman Youssef E., 28 has been identified as a suspect.
TF1 said he was a known Islamist and had already been sentenced to five years in prison in March 2014 after being arrested with two others as they tried to leave France to fight in Syria.
He was was released from prison in October and had been under house arrest since February 29. There are reports that his companion was also arrested in the dawn raid.
It comes a day after a man suspected of having links to the Paris massacre in November was gunned down in a Brussels after a shoot-out with police.
Belgian investigators are still hunting two suspects who fled an apartment one day after a police sniper killed the gunman holed up inside. Authorities found a stock of ammunition and an ISIS flag there, officials said.
Four officers were wounded in Tuesday’s joint French-Belgian raid in a Brussels neighbourhood and related searches.
Prosecutors on Wednesday released without charges two men they held in the wake of the raid, leaving the hunt on for two suspects who have not been identified. Prosecutor Eric Van der Sypt said they ‘are being actively sought’.
The dead man was identified as an Algerian man living illegally in Belgium, Mohamed Belkaid, whose only contact with authorities appeared to be a two-year-old theft charge, said Thierry Werts, a Belgian prosecutor.
ISIS fanatics murdered 130 people in the French capital on November 13 when they targeted bars and restaurants, the Stade de France stadium and the Bataclan music hall in a wave of gun and suicide bomb attacks.
In November, the mastermind behind the Paris terror plot was killed during a special forces siege on a flat in Saint Denis, close to where four arrests were made today.
Abdelhamid Abaaoud, 27, died in a gun and grenade battle which saw 5,000 rounds of ammunition fired by police. Officers were seen removing two bodies from the apartment this afternoon.
French prosecutor Francois Molins revealed that neither Abaaoud nor Salah Abdeslam, who went on the run after the attacks, were among the seven people arrested in Saint Denis that day.
Security sources said the raid, which left five French police officers with minor injuries and a police dog dead, prevented a new ISIS double terror attack on Paris.