The decision follows allegations of sexual assault against five recruits, including the rape of a man in Cambridge.

Libyan soldiers training in the UK are being sent home early following a series of sexual assault allegations.

More than 300 members of the country’s armed forces have been based at Cambridgeshire’s Bassingbourn Barracks as part of the UK’s pledge to support the Libyan government.

Some had been due to return at the end of November but their stay is being cut short after five soldiers were accused of sex attacks.

Two have admitted sexually assaulting women in Cambridge, while the latest charges relate to the rape of a man in the city on Sunday.

Libyan soldiers in Italy, which also agreed to help train 15,000 recruits

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said: “The majority of recruits have responded positively to the training despite the ongoing political uncertainty in Libya but there have been disciplinary issues.

“Training was initially expected to last until the end of November but we have agreed with the Libyan government that it is best for all involved to bring forward the training completion date.

“The recruits will be returning to Libya in the coming days.

“The UK remains committed to supporting the Libyan government as it works to establish stability and security across the country.”A Libyan official soldier gives instructions to his soldiers as they take part in a training exercise directed by the Italian Army's 80th Infantry Regiment of Cassino, in Persano

Sky News understands a small number of the soldiers, no more than three, left the base unannounced and are claiming asylum to remain in the UK.

The MoD said it would review whether further Libyan recruits would be trained in the UK.

Libyan cadets Ibrahim Naji El Maarfi, 20, and Mohammed Abdalsalam, 27, appeared at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court last week and admitted two counts of sexual assaulting women in the city. They are awaiting sentencing.

Khaled El Azibi, 18, has been charged with three counts of sexual assault linked to the same incident but has yet to enter a plea.

Moktar Ali Saad Mahmoud, 33, and Ibrahim Abogutila, 22, have been remanded in custody after appearing in court charged with raping a man in Cambridge.

The decision to send the Libyan cadets home came after South Cambridgeshire MP and former health secretary Andrew Lansley wrote to the MoD to raise concerns.

Courtesy of Sky News

We deliver meaningful conservative American news that is not your normal agenda based Beltway bull.