Military And Vets: You May Now Update Or Correct Your Military Records

On December 30, 2016, the Department of Defense (DoD) announced via DoD Press Release No: NR-459-16 there is a renewed effort to ensure veterans are aware of the opportunity to have their discharges and military records reviewed.

Veterans who desire a correction to their service record or who believe their discharge was unjust, erroneous, or warrants an upgrade, are encouraged to apply for review.

For discharge upgrades, if the discharge was more than 15 years ago, the veteran should complete DD Form 293 and send it to their service’s Discharge Review Board (DRB). The address is on the form.

For discharges over 15 years ago, the veteran should complete DD Form 149 and send it to their service’s Board for Correction of Military/Naval Records (BCM/NR). The address is on the form.

Key information to include in your requests is provided.

For corrections of records other than discharges, veterans should also complete DD Form 149 and submit their request to their BCM/NR.

For other information or assistance with Board for Correction of Military/Naval Records (BCM/NR) or Discharge Review Board (DRB), see the aforementioned DoD Press Release No: NR-459-16. Websites, email addresses as well as phone numbers for Air Force, Army, and Navy services are provided on that form.

Here is a true life example of the procedure to change your DD 214.

While attending a battalion reunion, one Vietnam Veteran was told that his unit had received a citation from the Republic of Vietnam (RVN). After some research on the internet, he found Department of the Army Pamphlet 762-3 entitled, “UNIT CITATIONS AWARDED “Vietnam” TO THE 23RD INFANTRY DIVISION (AMERICAL) AND ASSIGNED UNITS”.

Sure enough, he discovered his battalion was awarded the Republic Of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm Unit Citation

To update his DD 214, he is to fillout DoD Form 0149, “APPLICATION FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORD”, and provide necessary documentation to support his claim.

The veteran can then buy the medal and add it to his collection. One of the few places to obtain this particular medal awarded by RVN and/or its ribbon is Medals of America.

All servicemembers and veterans now have options not previously available to them.


Note: Included in this press release is the possibility to submit feedback on policies or processes currently in force in our military. This can be done by an e-mail or mailing your feedback to:

Office of Legal Policy

Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Personnel & Readiness)

4000 Defense Pentagon

Washington, DC 20301-4000

FOLLOW us on Facebook at Freedom Daily!

Chuck Yarling has had many titles in his career thus far: veteran, engineer, math teacher, consultant, technical writer, book author and publisher, and triathlete. He was a member the Military Order of the Purple Heart and Bugles Across America, which plays Taps at military funerals and special events. Spec. 5 Chuck Yarling served with the 26th Combat Engineering Battalion in Vietnam as an awards clerk. His service with the U.S. Army resulted in being awarded the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and Army Commendation Medal. You may reach Chuck at [email protected]

Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.