Rydalmere ShootingThe actions of 25-year-old Milad bin Ahmad-Shah al-Ahmadzai will most likely result in a new NSW law. www.7News.com.au#7News
Posted by 7 News Sydney on Thursday, December 3, 2015
The New South Wales attorney general has asked the solicitor general to consider whether a Sydney man who refuses to stand in court should be investigated for contempt.
Milad bin Ahmad-Shah al-Ahmadzai has repeatedly refused to stand during his trial at Parramatta district court for alleged attempted murder and car theft.
The 25-year-old Muslim man reportedly said his refusal was based on the grounds of his religious beliefs.
“In the light of the repeated refusal of Mr Al-Ahmadzai … I have written to the solicitor general … asking him to consider whether Mr Al-Ahmadzai should be investigated for breaches of contempt,” Gabrielle Upton said on Tuesday.
“Not wanting to stand for a magistrate, judge or supreme court justice is unacceptable behaviour and should lead to consequences.”
Last year the former attorney general, Brad Hazzard, found the decision not to stand did not meet the threshold of being in contempt of court.
Upton said she was seeking advice from the justice department to see if the laws could be changed.