FORREST CITY, Ark. — A couple of Forrest City Waffle House customers said they got more than expected with their meals early Friday morning.
“He was just coughing. Cough. Cough. Making noises like that,” Antonio Robinson said.
Robinson said his friend found hair in his food.
“I looked up at him,” Robinson explained. “He went to pulling out strings of hair out his mouth.”
The duo witnessed employees doing their hair in the kitchen of the restaurant and recorded the incident on their cellphones.
“She dipped her hair down in the pot and when it came back up she was drying it off with one of the towels,” Robinson told WREG. “I see people do that in their houses and things like that but for a restaurant, I don’t know.”
St. Francis County health inspectors launched a full investigation into the video.
One local inspector said any time hair is found in the kitchen of a restaurant, it is a health violation.
WREG took the problem to the store’s manager
While management would not allow cameras inside of the facility, he said the employees in the video were fired.
Reporter: Is that acceptable at all?
Manager: That’s not acceptable. That’s why we terminated them.
Reporter: Were you outraged at all when you saw it?
Manager: I was embarrassed. But it’s all taken care of now. That’s all I can say.
WREG was referred to the company’s corporate offices in Atlanta.
A spokesperson emailed the following statement:
“We were made aware of this via a Facebook Private message this morning. We immediately reached out to the local management team. After identifying the parties involved, they were immediately terminated. The health department has been out to the restaurant for an inspection which it passed, and they have closed the case.
We do not tolerate these behaviors and strive to provide a clean, safe environment for all our customers.”
“People can learn from this and be cleaner everywhere and keep people from getting sick,” Robinson said.
WREG obtained a copy of the health inspection report conducted Tuesday afternoon where the company passed.
Investigators noted floors needed to be cleaned under the kitchen cooking equipment.