Sound like they got used to Club GITMO and Obama’s socialism. Why not, everything was free and we catered to them like servants.
Marie Harf unavailable for comment. Via Daily Mail:
Uruguay’s president has accused six former Guantanamo Bay inmates of lacking a work ethic and being ‘middle class’ for refusing to get jobs since arriving in the South American country three months ago.
President Jose Mujica has appeared to criticise the men, who were locked up for more than 12 years in the American detainment camp in Cuba, saying they lacked a work ethic.
But the men are equally disappointed with their new lives – with one telling the press they had simply swapped one prison for another.
The men arrived in Montevideo in December, after Mujica said his country would take them in and help them get resettled.
The six, who were detained as suspected militants with ties to al-Qaeda in 2002 but were never charged, were cleared for release in 2009.
But they were stuck in Guantanamo for the next five years because they could not be sent home – and no one wanted them, until Uruguay stepped into the breach.
It offered them a residential facility to study Spanish, learn about Uruguayan culture and integrate to their new home – which has about 300 Muslim residents out of a total population of 3.3million.
A labour union was drafted in to help find the men work, but it has since said the men have turned down jobs they have been offered.
Local newspapers reported they were supposed to start work this month in the construction industry
His comments have not been universally welcomed.
Senator Ope Pasquet, of the Colorado Party, defended the men Wednesday, tweeting: ‘The Guantanamo six were jailed for more than 10 years in dreadful conditions.
‘The psychological damage must be terrible. Making them work now? Premature.’
His comments about their state of health appear to be backed up by lawyers working for the six men.
Cori Crider, of Reprieve UK, told the Buenos Aires Herald last month: ‘My client [Abu Wa’el Dhiab] has lost ability to walk after 13 years in Guantánamo. But he is now not just in wheelchair, he is able to walk with crutches.’
However, Dhiab – a Syrian who cannot return to his country because of the ongoing violence – has also complained about his new home.
He recently said the men have ‘walked out of a prison to enter another one’.
In a TV interview, Dhiab expressed thanks to Uruguay, but said it needs a plan for helping the ex-detainees, who need ‘their families, a home, a job and some sort of income that allows them to build a future’.
While at Guantanamo, Dhiab was at the center of a legal battle in U.S. courts over the military’s use of force-feeding.
When he arrived in Uruguay, he was reportedly weak as a result of repeated hunger strikes. In recent videos, Dhiab appears thin but not overly so.
Since January 2002, when the Guantanamo detention center opened, about 620 prisoners have been released or transferred, with the vast majority making no public statements or appearances.
—Courtesy of Weasel Zippers