Despite all the budgetary pressure impacting vital programs of importance to the American people, the Obama administration has determined there’s still plenty of money to go around for illegal aliens.
That’s what we learned back on September 9, 2014, when we obtained documents from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) that showed the Obama Administration paid Baptist Children and Family Services (BCFS) $182,129,786 to provide “basic shelter care” to 2,400 “unaccompanied alien children” (UAC) for four months in 2014. The BCFS budget included charges for $104,215,608 for UACs at Fort Sill, Oklahoma and an additional $77,914,178 for UACs at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas.
These documents were obtained in response to an August 1, 2014, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request seeking BCFS applications for funding, correspondence between the HHS Administration for Children and Families (ACF) and BCFS, and correspondence within ACF relating to BCFS. The records we received include the “Budget Information and Project Narrative portions of the BCFS applications funded in calendar 2014” for both the Ft. Sill and the Lackland facilities.
As Judicial Watch previously reported, there has long been ample evidence the Obama Administration was operating in anticipation of a surge in illegal aliens that it, in fact, clearly instigated. As Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) has said, “The rising crisis at the border is the direct and predictable result of actions taken by President Obama. He and his administration have announced to the world that they will not enforce America’s immigration laws, and have emphasized in particular that foreign youth will be exempted from these laws. The world has heard the president’s call, and illegal immigrants are pouring across the border in pursuit of his promised amnesty. President Obama is responsible for this calamity.”
After Judicial Watch’s HHS-BCFS FOIA lawsuit, we now have further evidence that this is the case. The start date of BCFS’s contract was October 1, 2013—a full eight months before the deluge of illegal alien children the US suffered in mid-summer 2014. The project’s end date of September 30, 2016, suggests that the Obama administration anticipates that the deluge will continue until near the end of his presidency.
After analyzing the documents, we also found that the HHS contract with the BCFS stuck the American taxpayer with a stunning tab. You should expect to pay $86,846.34 per illegal alien child at Ft. Sill, for a total to $104,215,608 for 1,200 UACs from June 12 to October 18. The bill also included $2,648,800 in compensation for 30 members of the BCFS “Incident Management Team” (IMT), for a total of $88,293 per IMT member for the four-month period.
The $77,914,178 to care for 1,200 children at Lackland Air Force Base amounted to a cost to the taxpayer of $64,928 per illegal alien child from May 18 to September 18. The Lackland bill included $20,000 for a “cable television screen/projector set up” and 20 shower stalls at $1,000 each.
The BCFS application for the Ft. Sill facility also includes the following expenses:
- “BCFS HHS proposed to operate a team of highly qualified professionals as outlined below… Incident Management Team… comprised of 30 members… for a 120 day event” – $2,648,800.
- “[H]otel accommodations 822 staff x $125 hotel rate per night divided by 2 (two staff per room, will share) plus 20 individual rooms will be added – $6,765,000.”
- “Food will be provided by a local catering service at $75 per day for 3 meals and 2 snacks. The meal plan is estimated to provide 1200 UACs and 822 staff at a minimum: $75 x 2022 individuals (staff + youth) x 120 days – $18,198,000.” [EDITOR’S NOTE: According to the USDA, the cost to feed a teenager per week in the U.S. is roughly $71.70 – or approximately $10 per day.]
- “Medical supply expenses include the cost of first aid kits, latex gloves, lice shampoo, pregnancy and urine tests… Total medical service and supply reimbursement is requested in the amount of $1,120,400.”
- “Recreational items will include board games, soccer balls, basket balls, jump ropes, bracelet making kits, yarn, puzzles, arts and crafts, decks of cards, and eye-hand coordination game sets. Reimbursement is requested for $180,000.”
- “Educational items will include… tempera paint, paint markers, paint brushes, easel brushes, art paper… Crayons, multicultural crayons… for $180,000.”
- “Laptop Kits… 100 Kits… 5 Laptops per kit – $500 per kit… $200,000.”
- “VOIP Phone Kits… 80 kits… 10 cell phones per kit with International call capabilities and radio… $160,000.”
The BCFS application for the Lackland facility includes the following, in addition to many of the above:
- “Summary Budget by Object Class… 1200 Emergency Surge Beds, May 18, 2014 – September 18, 2014” – $77,914,178.
- “Utility expenses will include cable television (video screen/projector set up – due to the large dormitory set and configuration to ensure large group seatings can view movies, sports, etc.) and is estimated at $5,000 per month x 4 months – $20,000.”
- “In addition, contact with family members is imperative and part of BCFS’s daily programing in which each client is affording the opportunity to call their families twice every week… 1200 UACs x 2 calls x 20 minutes – 48,000 minutes a week x .75 x 16 weeks – $576,000.”
- “Shower Stalls… Additional show heads required… 20 stalls at $1,000 a piece… $80,000.” [EDITOR’S NOTE: Shower stalls at Home Depot can be purchased for as low as $163.71.]
These itemized expenses show the Obama administration spent nearly $200 million of taxpayer funds to provide illegal alien children with the type of extravagant high-tech equipment and lavish benefits many American families cannot afford for their own children. It was the Obama administration’s lawlessness that resulted in an illegal alien surge in the first place that has cost taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars in 2014. In response to his new amnesty plan, we can expect tens of billions of dollars more in taxpayer costs for the resulting wave of illegal aliens trying to take advantage of Obama’s unilateral, illegal nullification of our nation’s immigration laws.
As Judicial Watch considers its legal options against Obama’s lawless amnesty, which is already here, Congress is prepared to capitulate and fund the lawlessness. Senator Sessions discovered that the Obama gang is going to hire at least 1,000 new staff to implement his lawless amnesty. Senator Sessions reported:
The Obama Administration is now opening a new USCIS facility in Crystal City, Virginia, for the purpose of immediately implementing the President’s imperial immigration decree. They are in the process of hiring 1,000 full-time staff to quickly approve applications for the President’s illegal amnesty, which will provide work permits, photo IDs, Social Security, and Medicare to illegal immigrants—all benefits rejected by Congress. This action will mean that American workers, their sons, their daughters, their parents, will now have to compete directly for jobs, wages, and benefits with millions of illegal immigrants.
This facility is a clear symbol of the President’s defiance of the American people, our laws, and our Constitution. He is hiring federal employees to carry out a directive that violates the laws Congress has passed in order to foist on the nation laws Congress has repeatedly refused to pass.
Many Republicans are happy with Obama’s unilateral amnesty and are unwilling to take tough steps to defund his amnesty which, to be clear, changes the law in a tyrannical way and prevents the deportation of virtually every illegal alien. I encourage you to call your members of Congress as often as it takes to convey your thoughts on this issue. The number is 202-224-3121. Congress is happy to be complicit in this lawlessness if they think voters aren’t concerned. As I told Breitbart.com:
Any member of Congress who funds Obama’s lawlessness is complicit in it. Congress has a moral obligation to cut off funds for the president’s outlaw immigration policies. Anything short of a funding cut-off may make the Washington establishment happy but is an affront to voters who know better. Approving tax money for illegal amnesty and Obama’s abuse of power while saying you’re against it sounds like a Gruber talking point. That the idea of funding Obama’s amnesty is even being broached makes Republican fulminations against Obama’s unconstitutional actions seem like a joke. But voters won’t be amused.
We are continuing investigations and considering legal challenges no matter what Congress does.
As part of our educational efforts about the rule of law and immigration, Senator Sessions made a special presentation at our headquarters in Washington DC on Monday, December 8. You can view the presentation on the Internet here.
Courtesy of Breitbart