A young Idaho teen was on a walk with his dog when he came across a small, somewhat rusted container stuck in the brush along the street. Curious about what it contained, he began inspecting the odd object before realizing what a huge mistake he had just made. Now, his family is warning everyone to watch out for these after finding that they have been spotted across the country and you need to know what they mean.
Canyon Mansfield wasn’t far from his home in Pocatello when he didn’t realize the extreme danger that was just feet away from his front door. Now he’s left severely injured, his dog is dead, and his family is outraged that they weren’t made away what was placed in their neighborhood.
The family lives in an area where wildlife can often be spotted roaming the streets and get onto people’s property where they can cause harm to animals. The U.S. Department of Agriculture is responsible for protecting property owners from dangerous wildlife in the area and control that threat with the use of very controversial measures. One effective measure they take to kill coyotes on the spot is with “One way of doing this is by employing cyanide explosives,” Americas Freedom Fighters reported.
Also known as M-44 explosives, these lethal little devices look like small containers that are sure to catch the eye of curious kids like Canyon, and are a deadly tripping hazard, as the 14-year-old’s yellow labrador learned the tragic way.
“I see this little pipe that looked like a sprinkler sticking out of the ground,” Canyon told East Idaho News. “I go over and touch it. Then it makes a pop sound and it spews orange gas everywhere.”
Frantic for relief, the teen grabbed a handful of snow to try to clean the toxic chemicals off of his eyes when he realized that his furry friend was suffering the same issue. “I look over and see him having a seizure,” Canyon said, holding back tears. “I ran over and he had these glassy eyes. He couldn’t see me, and he had this red stuff coming out of his mouth.” He ran down the hill to his house to get help from his mom, who called her husband, who happens to be a medical doctor.
Despite the family’s best efforts, they couldn’t save their dog and are now wondering why in the 10 years they lived by this explosive, they were never told that it was there. “We didn’t know anything about it. No neighborhood notifications and our local authorities didn’t know anything about them,” Mark Mansfield told the News. “The sheriff deputies who went up there didn’t even know what a cyanide bomb was.”
The U.S. Department of Agriculture Wildlife Services referred to this incident as an unintentional discharge and claim it was the first explosion in this area in the past three years. They vowed to “determine whether improvements can be made to reduce the likelihood of similar occurrences happening in the future,” but the Mansfields aren’t satisfied with that answer.
Considering that these explosives are in other states and have posed a grave danger to residents, lawmakers are considering banning M-44 devices by the Department of Agriculture, Fox News reported.
It seems like common sense to not put these poisonous explosives near homes if using them at all. The fact that these are still in place after multiple injuries have taken place is unacceptable along with the fact that residents and even local authorities aren’t made aware of where they are in the area.