The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) got slapped down by the U.S. Supreme Court (SCOTUS). The amazing thing is this case should never had been filed in the first place.
On November 27, 2012, Kingdomware Technologies, Inc. (KTI), a service-disabled veteran-owned small business (SDVOSB) headquartered in Maryland, filed a lawsuit against the VA when it refused to allow it to bid for existing contracts for a VA medical center. The VA did not consider KTI as an eligible SDVOSB through the use of its own definition, therefore violating federal law.
From Military Times:
Federal law requires the agency to use a bidding process if two or more disabled veteran-owned companies can offer service at a fair and reasonable price. But the VA argued the “rule of two” does not apply when it buys goods and services from vendors that already have contracts with the agency under a system called the Federal Supply Schedule.
A federal appeals court had said the VA did not have to follow the rule of two if it otherwise met the goal of awarding between 7 percent and 12 percent of all contracts to companies owned by disabled veterans. But Thomas said meeting annual benchmarks does not allow the VA to ignore a mandatory contracting rule.
The rare 8-0 unanimous decision is summarized by SCOTUS Blog:
(1) The Court has jurisdiction to reach the merits of this case because it is reasonable to expect that the federal government will refuse to apply the Rule of Two — which provides that a contracting officer award contracts by restricting competition for contracts to veteran-owned small businesses if the officer reasonably expects that at least two such businesses will submit offers and that the award can be made at a fair and reasonable price that offers best value to the United States — in a future bid by Kingdomware Technologies, Inc.;
(2) the contracting procedures under Section 8127(d) of the Veterans BenefitsHealth Care, and Information Technology Act are mandatory and apply to all contracting determinations by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
This is another case where the VA is not acting on behalf of veterans. If it was, KTI would have been allowed in the bidding process with other veteran-owned businesses and the lawsuit would never have been filed three and one-half years ago.
Note: to date, VA Secretary Robert McDonald has made no public comment on the ruling. As Bill O’Reilly is wont to say: perhaps he’s hiding under his desk.
Join the conversation
President Trump Signs An Executive Order To Combat Veteran Suicide
On January 9, 2018, President Trump signed an Executive Order (EO) entitled, “Presidential Executive Order on Supporting Our Veterans During Their Transition From Uniformed Service to Civilian Life” This EO is designed to combat veterans suicide that is prevalent among servicemembers during the time they are adjusting to a new life outside the military.
Here are five important attributes of this EO.
• #1: It identified that the largest number of suicides of our military personnel occur within the first year during their transition from military to civilian life.
• #2: It is during this time that the rate of veterans suicide is two times higher than the overall rate for service members.
• #3 Care may be provided at VA or by a private facility, depending on wait times where you live. This section re-enforces the Veteran’s Choice Act of 2017 which allows
Any veteran who lives 40 miles or more from the closest VA medical facility, or who faces a 30-day or more wait time, can seek out treatment from a private facility and the VA will handle the payment.
• #4: All service members leaving the military will receive screening for mental health issues for one year.
• #5: Implementation of the EO is being made at the highest levels of the administration via the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of Veterans Affairs, and the Secretary of Homeland Security.At the meeting, Secretary of Veterans Affairs David Shulkin, remarked,
“Currently, 40 percent of those servicemembers had coverage in the VA to get mental health. Now 100 percent will have that coverage, and it’s the full array of services that the Department of Defense and the Department of Veteran Affairs will be able to provide in terms of mental health coverage.”
This EO is excellent news for transitioning servicemembers. Indeed, it will help make their future in the civilian workforce a success.
FOLLOW us on Facebook at Freedom Daily!
Heads-up: Veterans Own Businesses Too
You may have bought from one & not known it!
Christmas shopping is now over. But an interesting question is this: did you shop at any businesses owned by veterans? Yes, indeed, veterans do own businesses and it may be surprising that you most likely indeed shopped or used services provided by one or more companies this past Christmas.
Why? The National Veteran-Owned Business Association estimates there are 3 million veteran-owned businesses in the country. For example, here are ten large companies that were founded by veterans:
• Federal Express (FedEx) was founded by Fred Smith, a Marine Corps veteran who served for four years. FedEx acquired Kinko’s in 2004, which is now called FedEx Office.
• Walmart. Yes, the world’s largest company has 11,695 stores in 28 countries. It was founded by Sam and Bud Walton in 1962. Both brothers are veterans: Sam served in the Army and Bud in the Navy.
• Enterprise Rent-A-Car Company began in 1957 and was started by Jack Taylor, a decorated WW II Navy pilot.
• Nike is the world’s largest supplier of athletic shoe and apparel. It was founded in 1964 by co-founder Phil Knight, who served in the Army and Army Reserve.
• RE/MAX, short for Real Estate Maximums, was co-founded by the Linigers, Dave and his wife. Dave served in the Air Force during the Vietnam era.
• Amway North America was co-founded by Richard Devos. Devos was in the Army Air Corps during WW II.
• GoDaddy is an international Internet Domain Registar.and web hosting company. The company was founded by Bob Parson, a Vietnam Veteran who served in the Marine Corps.
• Universal Health Services is one of the largest hospital management companies in the United States. It was founded by Alan B. Miller who graduated from college as an officer after serving four years in the Army ROTC.
• Sperry Shoes was founded by inventor, businessman, and photographer, Paul Sperry. Sperry was a member of the U.S. Navy Reserve.
• Sports Clips Haircuts was founded by Gordon Logan and his wife. Logan was an Aircraft Commander in the Air Force. Sports Clips is most widely known to us veterans because of their free haircuts on Veterans Day. In addition, they donate $1 from every haircut service on Veterans Day. The money is donated to scholarships for veterans.
So there you have it. Did you actually shop for Christmas presents at any of these veteran-owned companies? I did.
FOLLOW us on Facebook at Freedom Daily!
Here Are Three Shocking Reports On Veterans Suicide
The VA released an extensive report this past September which provided data on veterans suicide by states, age, gender, as well as the most common method of suicide. The data was extremely disturbing.
When faced with these statistics, VA Secretary Dr. David J. Shulkin commented
These findings are deeply concerning, which is why I made suicide prevention my top clinical priority. I am committed to reducing Veteran suicides through support and education. We know that of the 20 suicides a day that we reported last year, 14 are not under VA care. This is a national public health issue that requires a concerted, national approach.
In August 2017, the VA published a separate report entitled Facts About Suicide Among Women Veterans. The data here is disturbing as well:
From 2001 through 2014, the suicide rate among women Veterans increased to a greater degree (62.4 percent) than the suicide rate among male Veterans (29.7%).
From 2001 through 2014, the suicide rate among women Veterans increased to a greater degree (62.4 percent) than the suicide rate among male Veterans (29.7 percent).
The rate of suicide is higher among women who report having experienced military sexual trauma (MST) — that is, sexual assault or sexual harassment during military service — compared to those who have not experienced MST .
And finally, an older report cannot be ignored. In August. 2016, the Office of Suicide Prevention of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) published a report entitled, Suicide Among Veterans And Other Americans (2001-2014).
This investigation was one the most intensive ever completed and certainly the most comprehensive one on veterans suicides. Here are some of the shocking statistics:
More than 55 million records from 1979 to 2014 from all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C. were examined.
In 2014, Veterans accounted for 18% of all deaths by suicide among U.S. adults and constituted 8.5% of the U.S. adult population (ages 18 and older) .
In 2010, Veterans accounted for 20.1% of all deaths by suicide and represented 9.6% of the U.S. adult population.
The burden of suicide resulting from firearm injuries remains high. In 2014, about 67% of all Veteran deaths by suicide were the result of firearm injuries.
In 2014, about 65% of all Veterans who died by suicide were ages 50 and older.
After adjusting for differences in age and sex , risk for suicide was 22% higher among Veterans compared with U.S. civilian adults. (2014)
After adjusting for differences in age, risk for suicide was 19% higher among male Veterans compared with U.S. civilian adult men . (2014)
In 2014, rates of suicide were highest among younger Veterans (age s 18 – 29) and lowest among older Veterans (ages 60 and older ) .
And one final statistic: a firearm was the most common method of suicide for both men and women.
If you are aware of any serviceman member or veteran who may be at risk for suicide, here are four resources that you can use to help that person:
1. Any veteran or active duty military personnel having thoughts of suicide should call the VA Helpline: 800.273.8255 or log in to their website, Veterans Crisis Line.
2. You can also find a nearby Suicide Crisis Center by going to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline or call 800.273.8355 anytime 24/7.
4. Hidden Wounds, a veterans suicide prevention network built by veterans.
Please don’t delay your actions. You may save a life!
BREAKING News From DC! THEY Caught HIM!!! ENJOY PRISON
ROT IN HELL SCUMBAG
IT’S HAPPENING!! What Trump Just Ordered FBI In ALL 50 States To Do IMMEDIETLEY Has Muslims READY TO RIOT!
NOT ON OUR WATCH!!
Trump Just Had 199 People Arrested In Secret Overnight Raid After Hearing What They ALL Did! HELL YEAH!
HELL YEAH!!! #MAGA!!
Trump Just Obliterated Obama For What He Took From WH Because He Was Sick Of Seeing It Every Day
HE HATED THE PLACE, THIS PROVES IT!
Michelle Busted in FOUL Act With ‘Special’ Friends On Private Vacay Away From Barack
THE CAT IS OUT OF THE BAG NOW!!
Melania Handed Note About Barron During Meeting, Shocked When She Reads It!
SHE NEEDS SUPPORT NOW!
Muslim Refuses To Remove Headscarf In Bank, Gets WRONG Teller Who Figured Out What She’s Hiding
WE KNEW IT!
Subscribe to our newsletter
Become An Insider! Sign up for our free email newsletter, and we'll make sure to keep you in the loop on the top breaking news of the day.
Crime4 weeks ago
BREAKING NEWS: ALL 8 Just Found Dead – This Is HUGE!
Crime4 weeks ago
BREAKING NEWS! It’s Happening…ARRESTED With BAIL SET AT $6 BILLION!!!
Crime4 weeks ago
BREAKING: He Was Just Found Dead In Michigan – This Is HUGE
Culture3 weeks ago
BREAKING!!! ENTIRE Obama Family Just Got KICKED OUT!!!
Culture3 weeks ago
BREAKING NEWS! The ROYAL Wedding IN JEOPARDY!!!
Featured4 weeks ago
BREAKING: Trump Just CAPTURED Him Overnight – He’s FINALLY In Custody! This Is MASSIVE!
Culture3 weeks ago
BREAKING NEWS!! Kathy Griffin SHOOTING!!
Featured2 weeks ago
BREAKING!! Trump Is ARRESTING Her! FINALLY!!
Featured3 weeks ago
BREAKING News From ALABAMA!!! ROY Moore HASN’T LOST!!! THIS IS HUGE!!!
Politics2 weeks ago
BREAKING From NYC!!! He Was Just FOUND DEAD After Exposing HILLARY!!!
Culture4 weeks ago
BREAKING News Out Of Ohio – 60 Found DEAD Overnight! Trump About To Address The Nation
Crime2 weeks ago
BREAKING!! TRUMP IS SHIPPING THEM TO GUANTANAMO!!!!